Sunday, June 21, 2015

Heat Lovers

It is the middle of June, so the temperatures are in the 90s every day in Houston. Luckily, most of the things I have growing out there are heat lovers. I still water things more often than I thought I would before moving here but I'm used to watering so that isn't a bad thing--there isn't a drought here so I feel ok irrigating with my soakers and in the mornings.

My key lime has many tiny fruits, with the largest being about the size of a quarter (see photo #1 below). Also below: a Violet Jasper tomato on the vine, sweet potatoes, and multiple figs on one branch of my little potted fig tree. Figs do very well here: I have over a dozen on the one tree! Buchanan's Native Plants (a local nursery) has some good tips for growing figs. I picked up one of their handouts, but they also have good info here.






2 comments: