Sunday, December 14, 2014

My First Winter Garden

Though I don't want to rub it in too much to my Northern friends, I am thrilled to have so much planted and growing in December. I arrived in Houston in October and everything I have planted is something that will grow through the winter months that I traditionally had to spend pining away over seed catalogs while watching snow pile up outside my window. For me, being able to garden year-round is absolutely the best thing about living in the south. Hooray for my first winter garden!

Here's what's planted, either from seed or as starts from Buchanan's:
  • Snap and snow peas
  • Admiral peas (for dry/soup peas)
  • Fava beans
  • Garlic
  • Leeks
  • Broccoli (two varieties)
  • Cabbage (three varieties)
  • Kale (two varieties)
  • Radishes (two varieties)
  • Carrots (three varieties)
  • Beets (two varieties)
  • Rainbow Chard
  • Spinach
  • Lettuce
  • Artichokes (two varieties)
And here are some of the longer term investments that are in the ground but won't be producing over the winter:
  • Strawberries
  • Pineapples
Here are some photos of the plots over the past month.






No comments: